Nunthorpe Bowling Club
Nunthorpe Bowling Club was founded in 1908, and is one of the oldest sporting clubs in the area. It has occupied its present site since 1934. The club is situated down the side lane past the railway cottages, next to the level crossing on Guisborough Road.
For many years the land was rented from a gentleman farmer for a peppercorn rent, but because he was a Quaker it was not possible to hold raffles, collections etc to raise money for the club, so the only income was subscriptions. The club was bought in 1997.
Over the years with the help of various grants and hard work from club members, we now have a new changing room, visitor’s pavilion, and walkways and during the end of 2010 installed a sprinkler system.
The only bowling club serving Nunthorpe, Marton and Ormesby, we welcome all new members whether experienced or not. You can be assured of a friendly welcome.
In recent years the club has been updated by members with the new kitchen, carpets and decor. New toilets have also been built with a grant and contributions from members. Ditches have been widened and new astroturf fitted all round and rubber matting placed. Considerable work has taken place on the green for the new season.
The club is members of:
England Bowling Association
Yorkshire Bowling Associate
Cleveland County Ladies Association
Members play in the following leagues:
Cleveland County Ladies League
Teesside Ladies League
Cleveland 3 Wood Triples
Cleveland 2 Wood Triples
Mid Week Triples
Visitors are welcome to the club for a nominal charge.
The game is an excellent way of keeping fit and meeting new friends. Recent social events have included Quiz nights, Race nights, Fish & Chip Supper, Presentation nights, Christmas Lunch and Coffee Mornings, Domino and Bingo evenings, Beatle Drive, Afternoon Tea etc. Some members have also taken part in bowling trips to La Manga and Tenerife.